Friday, August 26, 2005

SEVEN, or How I'll Get to Heaven

(FYI: The title of this post is a variation on a lyric from a song in a musical, "Little Boy: The Epic Rock Fable", aka "Little Boy Goes to Hell", that purplestine and I were in during the hot, booze-soaked summer of 1998.)

7 things I want to do before I die:

1) Write a rock opera
2) Learn to play bass
3) Get at least 3 more tattoos
4) Teach what I've learned through martial arts to at least one person who will go on to teach it to others
5) Smoke a joint with Willie Nelson
6) Be choreographed by Yuen Wo-Ping
7) Be the channel, as a writer, through which a previously unknown band hits it really big


7 things I can do:

1) Twist my tongue to both sides
2) Beat box fairly credibly
3) Remain on my hands--standing, walking or performing various balances--for a very long time
4) Play the saxophone
5) Play the flute
6) Sing almost exactly like Peter Murphy
7) Tie a Windsor knot


7 things I can't do:

1) Hit a baseball with a bat consistently or accurately
2) Drive a stick shift
3) Grow (credible) hair on the very top of my head
4) Enjoy Ben Affleck
5) Tolerate Celine Dion
6) Completely give up smoking
7) Draw three-dimensional, organic figures


7 things that attract me to the opposite sex:

1) A ripe, round ass
2) Sexual adventurousness and willingness to experiment
3) A touch of the masculine
4) Willingness to instruct for the purpose of improving sexual encounters
5) Fearlessness in the face of challenging art
6) Honesty
7) A dark and whimsical sense of humor


7 celebrity crushes:

1) Juliette Binoche
2) Carla Kilstedt (of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum)
3) Dawn "the Faun" McCarthy (of Faun Fables)
4) Bjork
5) Clive Owen
6) Isabelle Huppert
7) Audrey Tatou


7 things I say most often:

1) Fair enough.
2) Jesus-monkey-fucking-Christ!
3) I'm sure I don't know.
4) I dare not speculate . . .
5) Um . . . sure.
6) Aaaaah, fuck me!!
7) I'm not sure how I feel about that.

7 people I want to "tag" to also complete the lists:

1) The Beige
2) Purplestine
3) Izzle Pfaff
4) Four people I've yet to meet but am sure I'll love unconditionally (I know that's a copout, but everyone else I know and have read has probably already done this--remember, I'm very new around here)

4 Comments:

Blogger Stine said...

3) Get at least 3 more tattoos

- Curious as to your thoughts on location of these.

1) Twist my tongue to both sides

- As I mentioned in my response to this meme - THANK GOD!

6) Completely give up smoking

- Very interested in clarification on the above.

7 things I say most often:

- You forgot, "Perhaps..."

Mwah!

11:55 AM  
Blogger thelyamhound said...

On tattoos: One on each forearm (definitely a modified hermetic symbol, and probably the engraving from the cover of "The Prophet"--or possibly a shorter blurb from the Tao Te Ching), one on the upper back (probably the "Man the Microcosm" engraving from "The Gnostics", or possibly some Celtic symbol). Other possible tats: Band of Greek calligraphy around one or the other bicep, more Taoist passages on either side of my Tibetan mantra.

On smoking: I've decided that accepting the dangers of booze and marijuana while decrying tobacco is knee-jerk anti-corporate reductivism; and furthermore, I think that if they sold cigarettes in smaller increments, smoking in moderation would be feasible. I go through periods of no bumming, periods of little bumming, and periods of much bumming; sometimes the latter two are well offset by covert "karma-guard" buying of packs for those from whom I bum or "emergency" opening night/Satellite packs left in dressing rooms for public consumption or schlepping to bars. Keep in mind that these are exceptions, not rules, and that I'm still even more of a non-smoker than Seattle theatre's many part-time, uncommitted smokers (I'm actually one of an all-too-common breed, I find, though I think my karmic track record is marginally better). The point, distilled: I like to smoke, though I wish I didn't, but I don't like to be a smoker. Erego, I can't really commit to either smokerdom or non-smokerdom.

Catch-phrases: If I'd listed them all, I'd be lucky if I could narrow it to 70, let alone 7. That one was almost as tough as the celebrity crushes to narrow down.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Stine said...

I still like the idea of something on top of your Tibetan mantra.

9:14 AM  
Blogger thelyamhound said...

In that case, maybe I'd go with the symbol from "The Prophet" over the mantra, the "Man the Microcosm" circle over that. You know, like an escalating (i.e. broadening) series of symbols rising along my spine. That'd cover all my interests on the back. Then maybe a hermetic symbol on one arm, a short Taoist passage on the other.

If I didn't have to work or worry about getting cast, I'd have one somewhere on my neck, or the base of my skull.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home