Saturday, January 28, 2006

Cleanse

For a combination of reasons--addiction management, health improvement, the advice of my acupuncturist--I'm cutting down on coffee and, for the next few days (to clear up a nebulous but uncomfortable health matter), drinking green tea, eating cucumbers and pears and avoiding peanuts, alcohol, shrimp and spicy food (I'm also supposed to be eating mung beans, but I wouldn't even know where to look--I've eaten mung bean noodles . . . I wonder if those would be any help?).

Anyway, I find it interesting how subtle shifts in perception begin to assert themselves in light of even minor dietary adjustments.

I was tinkering with my profile. Not a lot, but enough to include some new discoveries like Animal Collective (think a folkier take on XTC style melodies and Flaming Lips style sonic experimentation only, like, WAY freakier) and Ennio Morricone (not a new discovery per se, but I just acquired a double-disc set called Crime & Dissonance--best title in the world--that collects some of his obscure gems that were influence by musique concrete and dissonant minimalist free-jazz) and eliminate some old ones (love him as I do, I haven't listened to Charlie Parker in years). I traded some old horror favorites in for some new ones on my movie list; I left the book one alone because, between multiple jobs and the occasional acting gig, it seems like so long since I've actually finished a book; and while I've enjoyed some of the non-fiction I've read, I rarely think of academic lit as something I'd include with favorites, as I'm usually going in for information.

What I noticed, though, is how the essential character of my lists remains the same, but the personality of the list changes, which speaks not only to notions of personal canon formation (my favorite hobby), but to the personality/character conundrum I brought up in the last post. Interesting (to me, anyway).

Speaking of "the occasional acting gig" . . . I've just been cast in a show! A very fascinating show, in which I'll play a very challenging role. I'm probably more excited for this piece than I've been for anything in a while . . . which of course leaves me terrified that I'm not up to the task. Oh, the double-edged sword of getting what you want.

2 Comments:

Blogger amandak said...

Congrats on the new show! Very exciting. You'll have to keep us up to date on how it goes.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Missuz J said...

Can't wait to hear more about the show.

Every once in a while I check out my profile and think it's pretty out-dated, but I'm too lazy to change it.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home