Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Good Fight

In theory, I should go to grappling class tonight, since I haven't in few weeks. But I've become somewhat addicted to Savate (see links here and here--the first has more pictures, but the second has an interesting entry on the history of the art, even connecting it to common ancestry with Capoeira, which was what I studied last before coming to MKG). So I'm going to follow my intuition. After all, the whole notion of mixed-arts is based on the intuitive understanding that different bodies function differently, that technique and form are ultimately subservient to use.

In fact, to tie this in a little with my other post today (on Ichinen Sanzen) . . . Bruce Lee was always a believer in martial-artistry as a true form of artistry, a vessel for the expression of self, of truth. To engage with another body in combat is to engage with the science of interrelation, all actions committed an effective channelling of emotional content. Lee often spoke of the illusory boundary between opponents, and asserted that the most effective athlete/warrior was one who came to an ability to KNOW an opponent's movement through a realization that we are already one with the opponent, that each of us contains the whole of the other. A microcosm of mutual possession, perhaps? Who knows . . .

In any case, I like the skittery footwork of Savate, the delicate savagery of its kicks (lithe and balletic, yet almost invariably aimed at soft, vulnerable targets), the element of taunting (certainly French in character, but also attributable to the possible African origins of the art). Bruce Lee himself integrated a fair amount of Savate footwork and kickery (I don't know if it's a word, but I like it) into his own Jeet Kune Do (also the subject of several MKG classes); and who am I to question the judgement of the Dragon?

7 Comments:

Blogger Stine said...

I think it totally makes sense that you are attracted to a French martial art, and that it has the characteristics you describe. I would agree that it fits with your body type.

And dude, NEVER question the Dragon.

3:15 PM  
Blogger JJisafool said...

To fight is to understand. Fighting a system is essentially hacking a system. I dig it.

As do the Wachawhozit brothers, of course.

4:41 PM  
Blogger amandak said...

I'd LOVE to watch you fight sometime. That would be superhot.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Stine said...

and Mandy and I just got done talking about how superhot you are. So like, fight, K?

4:58 PM  
Blogger thelyamhound said...

They don't let you spar for about 6 months at this school, though we DO get to do a lot of pad/targeting/heavy bag work, which should actually better prepare me for sparring than any of the drills they used to put us through in Goju-Ryu. It's all just as well, really, because I'm really trying to engage each art on its own terms, which means I've had to "empty my cup" and begin from a place of ignorance; you wouldn't really know from watching me in these classes that I have any martial arts training at all.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Stine said...

you wouldn't really know from watching me in these classes that I have any martial arts training at all.

- LiAH!

7:16 PM  
Blogger the beige one said...

20 days and counting

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home