Monday, September 19, 2005

Political Tests (And Such)

You are a

Social Liberal
(73% permissive)

and an...

Economic Liberal
(26% permissive)

You are best described as a:

Democrat










Link: The Politics Test on Ok Cupid


These are always interesting . . . but are they informative? I don't know. I think I thought of myself as being a little more libertarian than this . . . but then, we live in politically confusing times. "Liberal" doesn't really mean what it used to, does it? Anyway, here we are.

My greatest exception to this test is the lack of "undecided" or neutral stances on matters. Economically speaking, I both benefit from and am stifled by large corporations and mass production; so mightn't I answer question relating to such things with an air of determined neutrality? Instead, I have to qualify my moderation by declaring opinions on matters on which I have no opinion. There were also questions asked which didn't affect my score that probably should have, survey questions like whether or not I support the drug war (I hope it's obvious that I don't).

Of course, if I designed the test myself, it would most likely fail to provide a useful and objective view of my own political preoccupations. Perhaps my frustration with the test is precisely why it worked, and the way I mitigated my answers says more than I like about my political leanings.

I'm probably just bitter because I hoped I'd be something less . . . vanilla than a Democrat. Oh, well.

2 Comments:

Blogger amandak said...

We certainly do live in politically confusing times. I try mostly to not think about it, which is probably not the best course of action, but seems to be working for the time being.

And, you are SO NOT Vanilla. I'd say more, hmm, Ben & Jerry's Triple Caramel Chunk. Yummmmm.

9:50 AM  
Blogger thelyamhound said...

I really like Ben & Jerry's Caramel Sutra, with the big "pillar" of caramel right down the center. 'Stine and I have also become fans of the Dublin Mudslide (which has a certain ethnic compatability with thelyamhound).

Yeah, I try to ignore politics, to remain apolitical. And I fail. It's a pain in the ass, because it becomes all about labels--I'm supposed to be for this because I'm against that, and so on and so forth. It's all an elaborate and deceptive construct.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home