Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Spring Drizzle

The winter rain was getting me down. But I'm telling you, spring rain is different. You don't feel it chilling you to the bone and making you sick; rather, you smell it opening the doors to the green in the surrounding leaves, washing the film from the streets and sidewalks.

I think, sometimes, that my love of rain in the warm seasons stems from some warm lunch/tea/coffee sessions in my adolescence with Platonic female friends, some plucked wildflowers, John Cusack standing with a radio blaring Peter Gabriel in Say Anything, the sweeping romance of it, the way it makes colors leap out from the gray, the teasing, "let's-get-you-out-of-those-wet-clothes" crypto-eroticism. And then when the sun peaks out, and the emerging warmth mingles with the scattered wet . . . aaaah, I remember why I love this city.

Opening weekend for The Swan went well, but Beige has a more credible report on that than do I.

We're reviewed, if you scroll down to the fourth show, on this page; the review is tepid, and the writing is . . . well, I'll let you judge that for yourself. But it isn't a pan, it's marginally complimentary towards my efforts and it may pique some curiosity amongst those who read it.

As a liberal, I'm neither reflexively against taxes nor particularly trusting of the idea of a "simplified" (read: regressive) tax code, but for FUCK'S SAKE, does this have to be so complicated? WE DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!! Save your fucking audit flags for people who have a car and buy their clothes new, people! Jesus-monkey-fucking-Christ . . .

Oh, and I finally saw last week's LOST. Very fun, though I hope this doesn't portend a shaggy-dog ending to the whole thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger ~A~ said...

As a purebred Washingtonian rain at any time doesn't bother me. But I have to admit that out of all the rains, Spring rain is my favorite. I would so buy a scent called wet-green-ness.

Unfortunately slugs like wet-green-ness too, and they're uncool.

10:25 PM  
Blogger thelyamhound said...

I'm generally fine with rain, too, but there was definitely a period this winter wherein I was just getting bummed out by it, which is unusual for me . . .

Actually, I've got no beef with slugs, but then I don't really grow anything either, so I don't have a pest register on which they can . . . er, register.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home