Tuesday, August 15, 2006

And So It Comes To Pass . . .

Ten years. A decade.

The first wedding anniversary seemd like a landmark because, well, it was the FIRST. The second was a good indication that this wasn't a fluke, the third was cool because the number 3 has tremendous symbolic significance, the fourth corresponded with all sorts of other time cycles (high school, leap year, the Olympics, most musical meter), and the fifth was a big deal because 5, like 10, was always one of those happy, easy numbers back when we were learning the multiplication tables. But what made 5 so significant was its relationship to 10, so even the fifth anniversary was mere foreshadowing for this one.

Ten years.

Getting away to Port Townsend for the day proper was a stroke of genius on our part. We've neglected the pretty parts of our own state, because the hassle of renting a car and travelling usually inspires us to travel, which, for better AND for worse, has always involved visiting folks, usually family. In fact, this little excursion was the first "vacation" (I mean, I only took 3 days off from work; hence the quotes) we've had that didn't involve anyone else. My, it was refreshing. We took lovely walks, ate a fantastic dinner (she went nuts on some king crab legs, while I snarfed down a lovely halibut filet with wilted greens), engaged in frivolous shopping, watched copious amounts of cable, ate, drank, had loud sex with the windows open . . .

Of course, any marriage is largely about community, so we DID have ourselves a lovely gathering at home on Sunday. In theory, it was to start at noon; in practice, it was nearly 3:30 by the time anyone showed up. The first few hours were spent languishing by the pool, with intermittent swimming and sunning, and then moved inside, where music was played and there was much imbibing.

All in all, it was pretty dang near perfect.

Other than that . . . I'm still plugging away at the martial arts, and am now starting work on granting for a theatre/martial arts project for at-risk youth which I'll be co-teaching in the fall. I have an itch to do theatre, but there's no theatre I'm itching to do, so I'm relishing the opportunity to take some theories, simplify them to where I can pass them along to the young and impressionable in a fairly short period of time (8 weeks, 3 hours a week), make some money (!!!), and . . . well, see what floats and what doesn't. I try to quiet my blind terror at the whole prospect of teaching anything with the idea that I could even learn a good bit from failure.

Since we've clearly hit some sort of expiration date on the matter, I can say that my initial sending of music writing to magazines ended in a positive response that lead to precisely nothing, so I'm both encouraged and discouraged. But I've got some new work to shop around, so I may send some of it along. I need to find some more publications that specialize in both the music and dialogue with which I'm trying to engage, but that's the kind of trawling that'll have to wait until I've finished the grant-writing and lesson-planning for the upcoming teaching job.

We've developed one disposable camera's worth of shots from the vacation, but I'll have to wait 'til we see the second before posting anything; at the risk of inspiring certain fellow bloggers to "punch me where I fuck", I look woefully out of shape in many of the shots, and would like to keep them from the public eye. Hopefully the second roll will yield all the pictures in which I look ripped and attractive. :^) Still, between that and a couple-year-old (we can't fix on an exact date) roll of film we found and took in with this one, there are some good candidates for a replacement profile picture. Nothing wrong with the old one, of course, but we all need an image makeover now and again.

6 Comments:

Blogger the beige one said...

le threatening shaking of fist

by the way, Mr. Man, started reading Rip It Up... and within the first few pages am compelled to either thank you profusely (already a couple of moments that seemed to describe my aesthetic perfectly) or kill you for inspiring the urge to buy even more music for my collection.

Asshole.

2:42 PM  
Blogger thelyamhound said...

Oh, and it gets worse. There were so many names of bands I'd never heard who were friends and contemporaries of bands I've always liked, and bands I've always been aware of but haven't really listened to, and... oh, man, it just gets insane. I'd love to be that kind of collector, but the sheer volume of material is daunting.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Missuz J said...

So excited for you re. the teaching job. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Hooray for 10!

We kind of forgot ours, so are planning a "But this one goes to 11" party for next year.

Thank you SO much for all your help with the film stuff. Hope you don't mind if I ask for more. Like, lots more.

1:10 PM  
Blogger thelyamhound said...

Just let me know what you need, Missuz. I may not have all the answers you're after, but it's nice to have a USE for some of this geekdom for once.

1:54 PM  
Blogger the beige one said...

yes, your crisis gave our lives meaning!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Neil said...

Congratulations on 10! We've got 20 coming up next spring. It gets better and better.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home